One Thing Bible Study Chapter 7
Chapter 7 – God’s Thoughts About You
Having your thoughts about yourself aligned with what God thinks about you is key to living the Christian life. What God believes about you can be found in the heart of God. The heart is the belief system at the core of one’s being. God has spoken so well of you that it can’t really be expressed in words. What God believes about you and what He says about you can really only be found in Jesus.
Ch. 7 Outline – God’s Thoughts About You
- What God believes about you and what He says about you can really only be found in Jesus. He’s spoken so well of you that it can’t really be expressed in words.
- God Believes You Matter – One of the biggest reasons for people living without God is that they are trying to fulfill their need to belong, to be loved, to be accepted and feel they matter when they already are loved and accepted. Gen. 1:28 – Barak
- God Believes Your Worth His All – Parable of the Hidden Treasure – Matt. 13 – read it from God’s perspective, not with you as the main character.
- God Believes in His Image & Likeness – Gen. 1:26 – says we were made in His image and likeness
- 20 Things God Says About You – My Favorites – I am a friend of God. I can all things through Christ.
- Mathew 13:44-45
- Genesis 1:26
- Genesis 17
- Where do we find what God thinks and believes about us?
- When looking at the parable of the hidden treasure from God’s perspective, who is the treasure being referred to?
- What is the heart’s biggest need?
- How do people usually try to find love and acceptance? Share with others in your group about your experiences.
- How can we learn from our experiences of trying to find love and acceptance?
- What does the word bless mean in the original language? How does this signify God’s thoughts about us from the very beginning?
- How do we see God’s beliefs in action in the life of Abraham?
- How have you seen God’s belief in action in your life? Share your stories with your group.
- What is your favorite scripture regarding what God says about you?
- What are some practical things you can do to keep what God says about you in the forefront of your mind?
Chapter 7 – God’s Thoughts About You
Once you have made a decision to give God an opportunity in your life, what you want to focus and meditate on is His heart for you. The heart means belief system in the Bible. In other words, when I say His heart for you, I mean what He believes about you.
What God believes about you and what He says about you can only be found in Jesus. He’s spoken so well of you that it can’t really be expressed in words. However, I’ve provided a few examples in scripture that give us some glimpses as to what God thinks of us.
- God Believes You Matter
In my opinion, one of the biggest reasons for people living without God is that they are trying to fulfill their need to belong, to be loved, to be accepted and feel they matter when they already are loved and accepted. This is the heart’s biggest need, to feel loved and that you belong. If you don’t feel that you are loved and that you belong, then you will go searching for that love in other places other than God which will result in many problems. God doesn’t love people any less when they do this, but they are bringing those problems on themselves by not believing what God believes about them and trying to create God’s quality of life in their own strength, wisdom and ability.
Now, God believed we mattered from the very beginning and still does. I mentioned this before but again we can see a beautiful picture of this in Genesis 1:28 when just after creating Adam, He blessed him. This word in the original language is barak which means to kneel and bless. I think the first thing Adam saw was God on one knee telling him how much He loved him. Notice we don’t see God beating Adam into submission. God doesn’t want a bunch of robots who feel that they have to love God out of obligation. God gave us free will and He believes in His ability to persuade you and your ability to be persuaded.
- God Believes You’re Worth His All
The parable of the hidden treasure and the pearl found in Mathew 13:44-45 is a great place to start when talking about what God believes about you.
44 “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.
45 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. 46 When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it. (NIV)
What most people do is open the Bible and read it like they are the main character. So what happens is people read parables like this and think it is telling them to sell everything they have to get the kingdom of heaven when what this is actually showing us is God’s heart towards us. The treasure in the parable when looking at it from God’s perspective is us. He calls us His treasure. In the Message version verse 46 says He calls us flawless. He was willing to give everything for us, even His precious only Son for us.
- God Believes in His Image & Likeness
Genesis 1:26 says:
Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” NIV.
We see here that we are made in God’s image and likeness. Think about what happens when you create something. When a couple has a baby, they believe in that child because it is made in their image and likeness. When an entrepreneur starts a business, that business is brought forth because of a belief they have. God believes in His image and likeness; therefore God believes in you.
- What God Says About You
Here’s 20 Things God Says About You
- You are a child of God. John 1:12
- You are a friend with God. John 15:15
- You are not condemned by God. Romans 8:1
- You are an heir with Christ. Romans 8:17
- You have wisdom, righteousness and redemption, in Christ Jesus.1 Corinthians 1:30
- You are a new creation. 2 Corinthians 5:17
- You are the righteousness of God. 2 Corinthians 5:21
- You have been set free. Galatians 5:1
- You have been blessed with every spiritual blessing. Ephesians 1:3
- You are chosen, holy, and blameless before God. Ephesians 1:4
- You are redeemed and forgiven by the grace of God. Ephesians 1:7
- You are seated in the heavenly places with Christ. Ephesians 2:10
- You have been brought near to God by the blood of Christ. Ephesians 2:13
- You are a member of Christ’s body and a partaker of His promise. Ephesians 3:6
- You have boldness and confident access to God through faith in Christ. Ephesians 3:12
- You have been made complete in Christ. Colossians 2:10
- You have been chosen by God, holy and dearly loved. Colossians 3:12
- You are an overcomer in Christ Jesus.1 John 5:4
- You are a citizen of Heaven. Philippians 3:20
- You Can Do All Things Through Christ. Philippians 4:13
I hope you have learned about the importance your beliefs have on your life and been encouraged about what God believes about you. If you struggle believing God in any area of your life, just be honest with Him and talk to Him about it. He already knows anyways so you it’s not like you are going to hide it from Him. Just ask Him to persuade your heart about the truth in the matter.